Workshop B — A Crown Corporation’s Guide to ESG Essentials: Everything You Need to Know to Transition Your Crown Corporation to an ESG Framework
Ministry of Municipal Affairs, Government of British Columbia
This session is offered only in person.
Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) frameworks continue to evolve in many sectors. Shareholders’ and various stakeholders’ expectations are driving many organizations, including Crown Corporations, to re-imagine new goals, objectives, and accountabilities aimed at sustainability. As shown over time, ESG has become a market differentiator for many corporations and a source of value creation leading to process improvements, monitoring, and reporting to address and comply with ethical standards and applicable legislation. This session will assist Crown Corporation leaders in developing and implementing an ESG framework that has the power to drive impact and provide a solid foundation for more in-depth ESG discussions in the main program.
- Defining the standard for ESG and the standard for disclosure
- Reporting on physical risk, including climate change impacts on assets and operations
- Reporting on transition risk, such as transitioning to a lower carbon economy, including policy, legal, technology, market, and reputational risks
- Developing a strategy for governance and reporting on government recommendations
- Re-evaluating policies to reflect long-term environmental stewardship
- Articulating strategies for effectively responding to shareholders about climate change implications