About Our Company:
The Canadian Institute, a global organization with affiliates in New York and London, UK, has for over 30 years been one of Canada’s leading providers of conferences and related products to senior leaders in the legal, business, and government sectors.
With offices in Toronto, New York and London (UK), our talented team of professionals believe that growth and success occurs when the power of people and the power of information come together. This position will be based out of our Toronto office.
The Events Manager is responsible for executing attendee events and conferences. The incumbent may work on larger events and will have developed strong negotiating and contract management skills. Working as part of a team, this role will have the opportunity to partner with external providers and manage all projects to assigned budgets. The incumbent works in tandem with all the departments of CI to make recommendations regarding the theme, agenda and location of events, while logistical decisions are made independently.
- Research suppliers, event concepts and cost proposals and execute events upon approval.
- Develop partnerships with internal departments, understanding their needs to provide a program suitable to CI’s attendees and sponsors.
- Manage all projects to assigned budgets by optimizing expenses, negotiating multiple supplier contracts with the assistance of the leadership. Submit invoices, expenses and visa bills for payment in a timely fashion.
- Contribute to CI’s revenue by effectively servicing marketing strategic efforts.
- Appropriately manage suppliers, looking for cost savings onsite.
- Develop gift/ giveaway ideas for events, and co-ordinate ordering, imprinting and shipping arrangements with Coordinator.
- Oversees workload of Event Coordinators pertaining to their specific event, as assigned by leadership.
- Provides input and creative ideas on aligning events/conferences with marketing plans.
- Assists the Production Team in marketing the event/conference to top potential and existing clients during the event.
- Ability to manage changing priorities in a high-pressure environment
- Well-honed time management skills and the ability to remain calm under pressure
- Strong attention to detail
- Highly-developed interpersonal skills
- Strong negotiating and contract management skills
- Extensive and current knowledge of event venues, entertainment options and contacts in the GTA, North America and International
Education & Qualifications:
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years event planning experience preferably in a corporate office environment
- Specific industry designation g. CMP or CSEP is preferred
- Familiarity with basic accounting principles
- Ability to independently manage and execute assigned programs
- Strong client service focus
- Ability to problem solve under pressure (e.g. time constraints, demanding attendees and speakers, change in requirements)
- Flexibility to work outside of business hours including working evenings
- Ability to travel to off-site venues for the duration of an event
Interested in joining the team? If so, please submit your persuasive cover letter and resume to [email protected]